Friday, March 13, 2009

Preparing for Lean Times: A Lesson From Joseph


This week the Lord opened my eyes afresh to the lessons that can be learned from Joseph as I read Genesis 41 again. This is the account of Pharaoh's dream, Joseph's interpretation, and the plan for Egypt. After interpreting the dream, Joseph tells Pharaoh that there will be 7 years or plenty and 7 years of a very severe famine in the land of Egypt. Joseph tells Pharaoh that he needs to appoint a man who is discerning and wise to to oversee the land of Egypt. He tells Pharaoh to collect 1/5 or 20% of the produce of the land during the plentiful years. (Genesis 41:34) Pharaoh recognized that there is no one who is as discerning or as wise as Joseph is, so he makes Joseph overseer of the land of Egypt.
I sat and thought about how this applies to my life and the lives of all people. First, I think that this portion of Scripture shows that there will be times of plenty and times of leanness or famine. It also showed me that it is good and right to prepare for lean times while times are plentiful. These Egyptians were asked to sacrifice 20% of what the land produced so that it could be stored in preparation of the famine to come. In our own lives we face famine times. Perhaps there is a job loss or a death that greatly reduces our ability to bring in money to buy our basic needs. Or perhaps there are general down turns in the overall economy such as we are facing now.
My monthly grocery budget is $560. Divided out over a 4.5 week month that means that I have about $125 per week for food. If I took 20% of that amount which is $25. I could be using $25 dollars per week to stock up on food and other grocery items. This takes a bit of planning, wisdom and discernment. Sometimes I don't know what I should spend money on, but the Lord does. It is His money, and if I pray as I shop I can find deals on food and other non-food items.
It is good and right to ask the Lord to show us how to prepare for what may come. Only He knows your future. He desires to prosper us for His own purposes. Proverbs 6:6-11 tells us to look at the ant. She has no overseer, yet she provides food in the summer and gathers in food in the harvest.
I pray the Lord would bless you as you seek Him in your planning and preparing. Ask Him how he would have your family prepare.
May you be blessed...

3 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

what a wise and timely post, jennie! i never would have thought of applying these concepts to my grocery shopping, but of course, that makes perfect sense! thanks so much for giving me something new to ponder☺

blessings to you my dear..

Winona said...

Jennie, this is such a good post and comes at a very good time. We try not to spend more than $50 per week, but there are just 2 of us. We were just talking yesterday about how we need to get back to eating natural whole foods. Thank you for posting this. Have a great day. Winona

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jennie.
Nice blog.
There's certainly timely wisdom in your article.
Have you heard of David Wilkerson's recent admonition?

first time visiter (: