Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast...

I have made these cinnamon rolls twice now, and I think they are my favorite. The recipe comes courtesy of Alton Brown of Food Network fame. I use his recipe as written with no alterations. This is what the dough looks like after being mixed. I know the recipe calls for 4 egg yolks. I happened to be making my son a white birthday cake that needed egg whites, and I had 3 yolks leftover which worked out very well.

It really does take about 2.5 to 3 hours for the dough to rise to double. For a long time it really doesn't look like it is doing anything.


Here are the little rolls already to pop into the refrigerator for the overnight rest. I confess that I did this a little differently this time. I started the dough too late on Friday night. So, it was nearly midnight by the time the dough had doubled. So, I tossed the lump of dough in the refrigerator. In the morning I pulled it out first thing and let it come up to room temperature. It was still a little cold when I worked with it. I would not recommend doing it this way, but it did work. Oh, and a little hint about getting the sugar/cinnamon mixture to stick in the dough. After you sprinkle it all over the flat dough before you roll up the dough, press the sugar mixture into the dough a little with a rolling pin. I forgot to do that this time and wondered why my sugar mixture was falling out all over the place when I went to cut the rolls. Anyway, the rolls will look just like this when you take them out of the refrigerator in the morning.



This is what they look like after they have risen in the steamy oven for 30 minutes.



Here they are all baked and ready to frost.



Oh, lookin' good. It's almost time to call the children.



Here is the roll Brianna selected. These do reheat nicely if you happen to have leftovers.


Enjoy....

4 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

Thank you so much for this recipe!!! i am a big one for starting breakfast the night before... and i've done cinnamon rolls the night before for years, but- not having a specific recipe like this- i have had to do a fair bit of fiddling and it doesn't always produce the greatest result. i will be making these rolls a lot i know!

thank you, thank you, thank you!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Yum!! I have always wanted to try to make my own cinnamon rolls...now I just might try!

Renee

gardendesk.com

Samantha said...

These look delicious, cant wait to try, thanks for sharing !

Nicole said...

Thank you for the pictures and recipe. My daughter will love these!