Sunday, March 1, 2009

Plans for the week...



My seed order came in a week or so ago. I purchased from both Johnny's and Seed Savers. I have had good success with the seeds from both places.

In my pile of seeds are:

Trophy Tomato
October Bean
Charlevoix Dark Beans
Butternut Squash
Detroit Dark Red Beets
Premium Late Flat Cabbage
Snow Fancy's Pickling Cucumbers
Negovia Carrots
Butterhead Lettuce
Yellow Onions
San Marzano Tomato
Provider Bush Beans
Jade Bush Beans
and...



Conquistador Celery. I have never planted celery before, but I sure do use a lot of it. These seeds must be started this week in order to be ready to plant outside at the end of May. This is the earliest I have planted seeds indoors.
In light of our discussion on the economy and surviving a depression, I don't think we can ignore the importance of growing some of your own food. I have been gardening on one level or another for about 15 years. This will be my third year for starting my own seeds. I learn a little bit more about it each year that I do it.
If you have never planted any vegetables before, I always recommend starting with crops that are easy to grow and that you like to eat. I discovered that there is no point in growing zucchini if I am the only one who will eat it no matter how prolific it is. Also, if you are planning on planting peppers or tomatoes, find a local nursery or garden center that has what you want and buy your transplants from them. Your first year is probably not the year to try growing your own transplants. I was not planning to take the time today to get into a lengthy discussion about gardening, but I will be writing about my progress as the season progresses. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have about the topic. I am not an expert, but I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability.
We are winding up the hockey seasons. Next week are the championship games. Then I can start sleeping in a little longer on Saturday morning. The 4-H season is just coming into full swing however. Carolyn had a great public presentation yesterday. In two weeks, Natalie has her horse bowl regional competition. We will have a couple more practices between now and then. I will try to remember to take my camera with me to these events. I forgot it yesterday.
Lastly, I am knee deep in planning next year's curriculum. My planning process begins in January and is usually completed by the end of March before the catalog prices increase.
I will keep you posted on how my seed starting activities progress this week. Also look for more discussions on preparedness.

3 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

Timely post indeed, Jennie! I am hoping to put in a tiny plot here in our yard this year. I've done limited (very limited!) gardening before, but mostly just flowers, and with variable success. I am thinking maybe some tomatoes, peppers... not sure what all else, lol. I am just hoping that the groundhogs don't get everything!

Soooo... what advice would you have for a novice gardener, with a teeeensy plot and a large (very bold) groundhog nearby?
warmest,
Diane

Jennie said...

Diane,

I distinctly remember scaring a chubby woodchuck right out of my tiny garden plot at our mobile home. He had managed to wiggle himself under the fence. Thankfully, it was the end of the season and there wasn't much to eat. I would strongly recommend a fence of some sort. They will go under, but generally not over if it is high enough. You may want to bury the fence under the ground some. You could also plant him his own. I have considered this for the deer in my area.
Jennie

Diane Shiffer said...

plant him his own? now there is a fun idea... seriously! he lives under the barn right behind my house (which isn't mine, but rather belongs to the house around the corner. i know it sounds confusing, but it makes sense when you see it:))
i suppose if i planted some yummy things for him right up next to his home, he'd be less likely to be interested in mine!