Friday, March 6, 2009

Baked Brown Rice

I bake my brown rice in the oven. I used to cook it on the stovetop, but I had mixed results. By baking it in the oven I have fluffy, tender brown rice each and every time. Obviously, brown rice has a different texture than white rice, so it does take a little getting used to. It should not be hard to chew or crunchy. Some of my children actually prefer it to white rice now that they have been eating it for a while. At first, it was not very popular.

Start by preheating your oven to 375 degrees. Give yourself about 1 hour and 10 minutes for prep time plus cooking time. I measure out one cup of brown rice.



Pour the rice into a greased casserole dish.


In a pot on the stovetop, bring to a boil: 2 1/2 cups of water, 1 tsp. of salt, and 1 tbsp of butter or oil.


Here is where the batteries on my camera died and we did not have anymore, so you will have to use your imagination for the rest.
Pour the boiling water over the rice. Cover tightly with one sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil or two sheets of regular aluminum foil. Carefully move the dish into the oven. You can see I use a jelly roll pan under my casserole dish to make it easier to move and in case the water boils out which can happen from time to time.
Bake this for one hour. When you remove it from the oven, fluff it with a fork. Most of the liquid should be absorbed.
Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennie!

I followed your link from The Family Homestead and am really looking foward to trying your brown rice in the oven.

Perfect timing too...we're having turkey meatloaf for dinner so I can just throw the rice in at the same time! :o)

Blessings,
Kelley

4byGodsgrace