Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Grocery Day...

Tuesday is my grocery and errand day. It never was in the past. Actually, I went through a period of time when I didn't have a grocery/errand day. Years ago, when all my kids were under 6, I would go grocery shopping under the cover of darkness after we ate dinner and my husband was home. It was a joy to be alone for a while. Even now I rarely shop with my children.

I have my list partially complete. I generally keep a magnetic pad on the refrigerator, and add to it items we run out of during the week. I do shop weekly. I have tried shopping twice a month, once a month, and in some stores even every three months, and honestly, I did not see any remarkable difference shopping less often. So, now I shop every week. I still shop at more than one store. I am thrilled that they just opened an Aldi store on the opposite corner from the Wegmans that I shop at. This is incredibly convenient. I also shop at Sam's Club about once a month and at a little market in my town. I visit several "merchant ships" as is spoken of in Proverbs 31. I take the list from the refrigerator, and transfer it into a computer program that I found several years ago for free. I don't even know if it exists anymore. This list has prices already entered ( I entered them.) and calculates my total for me as I enter each item to the list. Theoretically, when I leave me house I should know how much my final bill will be.

I have also clipped my coupons. I know some people are very big into couponing (is that a word???). I am not. I do have a few name brand items that I do buy. We just started receiving the Sunday paper again after being a non subscriber for many years. So, I clipped and organized those coupons.

I also am trying to go back to using cash. I am convinced that this is truly the only way I can stay on budget. In order to do this I must take my calculator with me. So, I went over the weekend and took out the money needed for groceries. I am hoping i come home with some leftover because I started this in the middle of the month, and needless to say, I am dangerously close to going over budget. There are still two more shopping days left in the month. Well, one is on the 31st, so I suppose I could count that as April since we will be eating the food and using the products in April. I already spent about $20 of my weekly grocery money on Saturday at the farmer's market. I needed honey, and I also picked up some local apples and brown eggs.

Now all I need are my reusable shopping bags, and I am all set. I guess I will have to go round those up.

Have a blessed day...

4 comments:

Winona said...

Jennie, I hope you find some good bargains. This Saturday will be my grocery day. I get groceries every other week. Lately I have been just going to Sams and a local store. I have found that if I watch the sales, I can get things for about the same as Wal Mart or Aldis. (Now this isn't everything, but some things.) Have a good day.
Winona

Cathy said...

Hi Jennie,
Wishing you great luck with your grocery budget....I know you can do it. I think you will love shopping with cash, I sure do.
Love ya friend,
Cathy

Diane Shiffer said...

i really need to switch over to cash... currently i use my debit card and i *always* overspend when i do. it's so easy to just buy those one or two small "great deals", and so easy for it all to add up!

i love wegman's myself.. the produce is incomparable and the prices better than tops, yay!
have fun shopping, dear☺

Jennie said...

Would you believe I forgot my coupons? It is new to me, so I guess I will have to figure out how to remember them next time. I did pretty well. I need to update my price list. I still have to go to my little local grocery store. I got tired. Plus this cold is not fun. Actually, being out walking made me feel better today.
Jennie