Thursday, August 21, 2008

Riding horses

For years my oldest daughter, Natalie, has wanted to ride horses, but the timing or the money never seemed to work out. Well, last fall, at age 11 she finally got her wish. Good friends of our had a daughter riding at a stable about 7 minutes up the street from us. I got the instructor's phone number from my friend and put in a call. A couple day later we stopped by the stable for a visit. The instructor's mom owns the property, and she took us on a little tour. So, we agreed to start riding the week after Thanksgiving. I know, who starts riding lessons at the start of winter. I don't know, but we did. Natalie and Carolyn both ride. It is now nine months later, and I have finally taken some decent pictures of them riding.

First, they had to learn to tack up. The first step in tacking up is grooming your horse. If you are lucky you can rope your twin sister into helping you. Note Brianna behind Carolyn. Carolyn is riding Sugar



Natalie is all tacked up and ready to ride Laura.



In the summer, the girls ride in the round pen. There is a ton of mud in the round pen due to all the rain we have had, so for the past two weeks they have been riding in the training area outside the round pen. The lady in the sunglasses is their instructor, Maureen.



Natalie on Laura, and Carolyn on Sugar



Natalie on Laura.



The lesson is ended, and it is time to dismount. In the background you can see Maureen working on some bit training with another horse.



Laura is done working and ready to go back to her stall.



Natalie and Carolyn can both walk, trot and canter, but it is hard to get that with a still camera. I did take a video last week. If I can figure out how to put it on You Tube I will have it on here soon.

Have a great day...
Jennie

4 comments:

ann said...

Great pics. I loved seeing all the steps to riding. I've always been kind of afraid of horses myself. They're so big up close!!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures.. They both look like they are having fun.. I remember those days..I miss my horse's very much I had three.. The dark brown looks like my Minnie..I have pictures of my horses under farm animals.. Now there is a girl lunging.. Is that to tire the horse out before they ride..just wondering?
Thanks for sharing..
Blessings Sister Brenda/haflinger
PS that is why my username comes up haflinger cause I owned one..

Jennie said...

Thanks Brenda,
These horses are Arabians or half Arabians. Maureen, the lady lunging the horse, is getting it ready for the horse show next week. I know precious little about horses, but on the board next to this horse's name it said "bit". So, I am assuming it needed some sort of work on the bit. Mostly horses are lunged in the winter to exercise them when they aren't in the pasture. At least this is what I have observed.

Ann, I am slightly amused that you are a little afraid of horses with your husband being a farrier and all. Thanks for your comment, my friend.
Jennie

Cathy said...

Jennie,
These are GREAT pictures. Your girls are just beautiful.
I enjoy your blog.
Love to you my friend,
Cathy