Monday, August 11, 2008

Busy Monday

I woke up early this morning with the intent of getting done will all my work by 10:30 AM, so I could take the children to the county fair. It was raining. I don't think it had stopped raining since yesterday. Hard rain poured down on us yesterday from around 9 AM until well after dark. I don't know how much rain we received, but I am about to go check the rain gauge. I'll report back later. By 10:30 AM it was still in the mid 50's and raining, so we decided to postpone our outing until tomorrow. Wouldn't you know that by 11 AM it was sunny, and it has stayed that way ever since? I needed to get to the fairgrounds before 11 AM to get the discount on our admission tickets. County fairs aren't cheap anymore.

Monday is laundry day. It has been that way for almost 2 years now, since I developed my weekly routines. I wash all the family clothing except for my oldest two children who wash their own on their assigned day. Typically I do 3-5 loads depending on what is dirty. I gave myself a little head start last night by throwing in two loads of towels. I have a river (well, small stream) running through my basement near my drier because of all this rain. There was a basket of towels that had gotten wet because some of them were hanging over the edge.

Since we weren't going to the fair, I decided to can more pickles. I did dill pickles today. I got 7 quarts canned, but I am a little disappointed that one of the jars didn't seal. I have never not had a pickle jar seal in 3 years of making pickles. Anyway, I guess I will have to put this one in the fridge and wait for it to pickle. I am not sure as this has not happened before. If anyone has any advice on this, please feel free to let me know.

I also boiled up eggs for egg salad for tomorrow. I even got it mixed up. I make a fluff salad to go with dinner. I love having this menu. There is some strange sense of freedom in being well planned. I think it is freedom from stress. I got all my meat and one frozen dinner out of the freezer for this week's dinners. Without a weekly meal plan I could not do this. Then I would be stuck 60 minutes until dinner with no idea what we are eating and all the meat is frozen. Not anymore.

Well, I am off to check that rain gauge. I will report my findings when I return.

Jennie

No comments: