Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Kitchen Garden

Last year I was inspired to create a kitchen garden out the back door of my house. It seems that these might be the plants that do the best this year. The house is higher on the property than the large garden. These plants are getting good moisture but are not standing in water like those poor plants down on the south side of the property.
I planted cabbage for the first time this year. I did get some holes from the cabbage white butterflies larvae, but they have disappeared.

I also plant my herbs up here. The previous owners of the house had some perennials around the house, but there were no basic herbs. Now I have dill, chives, curly leaf parsley, flat-leaf parsley, sage, thyme, spearmint, peppermint, catnip, rosemary, and oregano. This picture is only one half of my flat-leaf parley.

I have about 10 sweet pepper plants planted near the house. These are the biggest pepper plants I have ever grown. They were so sad looking when I put them out in May, but they are just flourishing now. I have never had good success with growing large peppers. I hope that I get some larger sized peppers this year.


Finally, we have my most delightful surprise. I have butternut squash growing. They are the best looking squash that I did not plant. I have never had great luck with vine type plants, but I have the potential for at least 2 good looking butternut squash. When I saw these guys volunteering this past spring I asked David to leave them alone. I am so glad we did.



Hopefully the deer will leave them alone. They are nestled in among the flat-leaf parsley and behind the pepper plants.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not coveting I am not coveting, your veggies are looking good, now if only I can convincce the deer to visit your stuff and not mine. ha ha

Jennie said...

Jeannie,

Those pesky deer have been eating up by the house. They ate back a good portion of the squash plant. Fortunately those two fruits are nestled deep enough that they have not been touched. I just chased 3 of those critters out of my raspberries last night. I feel for you.

Jennie