Tuesday, August 12, 2008

County Fair

Just those words...County Fair bring to mind Almanzo Wilder's milk pumpkin from one of my favorite books, Farmer Boy. The children and I headed out this morning under beautiful sunny skies to get in during the early admission time. The street traffic and people traffic was heavier than I anticipated, and we cut it right down to the wire. In the process of getting in and getting the tickets two of the children went missing. Never in my life has this happened before. All is well that ends well, and I don't desire to rehash the whole thing. So, suffice it to say that after a 20 minute panic attack we were all together and off to enjoy the fair.

Natalie and Carolyn were very excited to see the hunter/jumper competitions. We walked through the horse barns and saw some very impressive draft mules and Percheron. I wouldn't want one of those Percheron to step on my foot. They have some mighty hooves.

We took a walk through the grange building, the historical building and the 4-H building. I picked up some information about getting the girls involved in 4-H. I was not in it as a child, but all the things that they do (sewing, canning, cooking, etc.) is right up my alley. I am going to call tomorrow about clubs in my area.

We also went through the livestock buildings. The children and I toured the Moo-terity ward and saw the little calves with their moms and the piglets nursing on their mommas. It was so sweet. I enjoyed the rabbits. Some of those rabbits were bigger than my cat.

The last event we attended was the pig races. It is a cute little 15 minute show consisting of 3 races. The last race, if you want to call it that, was the pot bellied pig race. These guys were funny. We ended the day by sharing two pieces of fried dough. They cost $5.00 a piece. I couldn't believe how expensive the food was. I know fair food is always expensive, but this seemed quite a bit. In all I spent $35 for our day at the fair. We stuck to traditional county fair activities.

Wouldn't you know that I forgot to bring my camera. I love a blog post with pictures. I wish I could give them to you, but alas, I can't. You will just have to imagine with your mind's eye all the fun things we did and saw.

No comments: