Saturday, August 9, 2008

Pickle Day


Saturday morning is farmer's market day for me. There is a great city market about 10 minutes from my house. The prices are great. I have been shopping there for so many years that I have made friendly acquaintances with a few of the farmers.

I thought I was getting an early start by leaving my house at 9 AM, but alas I should have remembered that in August everyone remembers that there is a farmer's market. It was very crowded, but not as crowded as it will be in a month. I need to start going before breakfast to beat the crowds and to get the produce I want. This morning I was looking for pickling cucumbers. I was finding them to be hard picking. Many farmers had the really small 2 inch cucumbers, but I wanted bigger pickles. I went to my favorite farmer, Becken Farms, from Sanborn, NY. I was disappointed to find that they had already sold out of all they had. I little further searching yielded me two pecks of pickles. Isn't that a nursery rhyme? I digress. I think I bought the last two this fine lady had because after I walked away I didn't see her replace what I bought. In addition I bought sweet corn, 2 quarts of peaches, a quart of green beans and a quart of red potatoes.

I love making pickles. They are easy. There is not much prep work. No blanching or peeling. Just remove those blossom and stem ends and slice. Sometimes you have to soak them in a solution or hot water for a while. I gathered all of my canning supplies after I returned from the market. I also had to make a macaroni salad for dinner. After lunch I began in earnest. It took me all of four hours, but I canned 14 jars of pickles. I have 7 quarts of sweet pickle spears and 7 pints of hamburger dills. I still have pickling cucumbers left. I took a poll, and my family wants me to make more dill spears with them. So, the cucumbers are relaxing in the basement. I will make dill pickles on Tuesday. That will give me 21 jars of pickles plus the ones I have left over from last year. Oh, I also make watermelon pickles, but that will happen next month after the watermelon are ripe.


Blessings,
Jennie

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Hi Jennie,
Love this blog. Your pickles look yummy. Way to go!!
Love ya my friend,
Cathy