Monday, August 18, 2008

Making bagels...

In my attempt to keep grocery expenses down this month, I am making my own bagels each week. I was a little leery of doing this because my first attempt at homemade bagels a few years back was less than satisfactory. The first week I made plain bagels and last week I made cinnamon raisin. We have decided that we prefer the cinnamon raisin bagels the best. I will show you how I did it and then give the recipe.

After the dough sat in a bowl and doubled in size for about an hour. I divided the dough into 8 balls of dough. Then I rested the balls of dough for about 5 minutes. After resting for 5 minutes, I stuck my thumb in the middle of the dough ball, and then I spun the dough around my thumb to make the hole. The hole really does need to be about 2 inches across otherwise you will have bagels with no middle hole. This happened to me the first week that I made bagels.



Once the bagels all have their center holes they need to rest 10 minutes. Before I started making holes in the middle of the dough balls, I set a pot of water to boil on the stove. I do add some honey to the water. After the water is boiling, I start dropping bagels into the water 2 at a time and poach them for 1 minute turning over once or twice during the poaching.



After poaching the bagels, I drain them on a rack set over a jelly roll pan.




Then I move the poached bagels to a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I would have liked to put an egg white wash on my bagels, but I was tight on eggs and didn't want to give up one to the bagels. I think they would look better with the egg white wash.



Here are the baked bagels.



Some are nearly perfect looking.



Others...not so much.



Here is the recipe I used.

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 Tbsp. dry yeast
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp salt (yes, you really need this much)
2 cups unbleached white flour
2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
8 cups of water for boiling
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp water

Add ins...1+ Tbsp cinnamon and 1/2 + cup raisins or whatever you think you might want.

1. In stand mixer, mix water, honey and yeast. Let stand 3 minutes.

2. Add half of the flour to the yeast mixture and combine. Add salt and then remaining flour. Add the remaining flour a little at a time until the dough pulls away cleanly from the sides of the mixer.

3. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes in a Bosch mixer, you may need a little more time to make a smooth, firm dough ball. I added the cinnamon and raisins toward the end of the kneading time. Place dough in bowl, cover and let rise to double.

4. Punch down dough. Divide and shape in 8-12 balls. We make 8 because we like larger bagels. Allow to rest 5 minutes.

5. Bring water to boil. Make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, amking a bagel shape. Placethe shape dough on a cookie sheet (I use a greased flexible cutting board) for 10 minutes.

6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drop 2-3 bagels at a time into boiling water for about 45 second to 1 minute.

7. Drain poached bagels on a wire rack. Mix egg white and water; brush tops with egg white mixture and top with optional toppings, if using (seseame seeds, poppy seeds, etc.). Place bagels on greased (or parchment papered) baking sheet.

8. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. You can flip them over once if you are not putting additional topping on them or you can turn them on the sheet if you are using topping. I, however, did neither of these. The original recipe said to bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

Tips: Making the dough balls as round as possible seems to help shape the bagels. Keeping the bagels round also keeps the water from sitting in nooks and crannies on the bagels.

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jennie

7 comments:

Sara said...

I make my own bagels- we quite prefer them to store-bought. I usually do onion, cheese, and cinnamon apple. Yours look just like mine- some nearly perfect, and some not quite! It depends on how many little hands get into the shaping too, I've found. . .

Jennie said...

Sara,

Yes, I had some little hands helping me shape. I thought about doing some onion ones, but I know I would be the only one eating them.

Jennie

Anonymous said...

They look great..The ones not so perfect that would be me..lol.. You did a great job..What is the differnce between bleach and unbleached flour??? Why would that matter? I've always cooked with all purpose flour but now I've been changing slowly. Any help or advice would be great.. thanks..
Sister Brenda/haflinger

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennie,

Those bagels look yummie, even though not all of them look perfect. I'm going to give them a try next week when the kids are home. Thanks for the recipe!

blessings, Ellen

Cathy said...

Hi Jennie,
Wow...your bagels look delicious. Good job and I'm proud of you.
Love to you my friend,
Cathy

Jennie said...

Thank you Breand, Ellen and Cathy,

That batch is history. I guess I will have to make another one soon. I am also making English muffins, so I will have to post about that the next time I make them.

Thanks for reading.

Jennie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the instructions. Wow! I am going to make these. How timely, my son was asking for some bagels yesterday.

I enjoyed reading your new blog.

blessings~
Suzanne