Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Buying meat...

Well, my pork from the local farmer has just about run out. I think I have one ham and a couple of bacon packs left. I called to place a new order, but they won't have any until later in May. So, I placed my name on the list.

I ran out of grass-fed ground beef from our last quarter of a cow long ago. I have been buying the best meat in the grocery store that I could afford. My biggest concern with meat is that animal tissue holds on to the most pesticides. It is far worse than fruits or vegetables. So, I want to get the best that I can.

The last two weeks I have purchased ground beef, but I have also been able to buy some "Buy today and save" meats that need to be frozen or used with in a day or two. I have saved quite a bit of money doing this. So, I have made it my new adventure to search for the clearance meats when I shop.

2 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

I do the same thing! I can afford the organic meats when it's marked down:)

we raised our own chickens last year and it has been great having all that "good" meat in the freezer. I won't be doing it again this year for a variety of reasons... we'll sure miss the meat though!

Winona said...

Jennie,
I do that too. I have been able to afford the diet lean by getting it marked down to $.99 to $1.39 per pound. I just bring it home, divide it into meal size packages and freeze it until I need it. We have saved a lot of money by buying meat this way.
Winona