Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Examining the past...



All around us these days people are talking about the economy. Some are worried and seem paralyzed by this fear. Others are concerned yet are taking proactive steps to plan for the security of themselves and their families. The final group of people are those who go about as though all was sunshine and lollipops. They don't believe anything serious will happen, and find those of use who do to be depressing and gloomy. I am in the group of concerned people who have chosen to take some active steps to plan for the worst, but I hope for the best.
I have been studying the "Great" Depression for some time now. The stories of the people who lived through it intrigue me. At the peak of the Depression, my grandmother was fifteen years old. I am sure she had some great stories to tell. Unfortunately, grandma passed away over five years ago. Everyday we are losing the people who can give us insight into this time in history. Soon we won't have their wisdom and insight.
As I read through interviews and articles written by and about those who lived through the 1930's in America, I am struck by two things. First I see a value system and an attitude in these people that seems to be lost to Americans today. Secondly, these people can teach us many practical lessons as we try to navigate through these uncertain financial times.
I would like to devote some time on my blog to pursuing the values, attitudes and practical lessons that our grandparents, great-grandparents and their peers can teach us. I hope you will join me.

No comments: