Thursday, December 11, 2008

Back in the Pantry

I have spent the better part of the last day, when not preparing Christmas gifts, reading up on a man named Gerald Celente. Gerald Celente is the CEO of trends research Institute, and he apparently has an amazingly accurate record on predicting economic events. Yesterday, this article came to my attention, Revolution, food roits, in America by 2012. It sounded a bit sensationalist. After reading the article I felt that it was the most doom and gloomy article I have read. However, I think he could be right.
That brings us back to the pantry. A friend sent me a link a few weeks back to a list of 100 Things That Will Disappear. I am not exactly sure where they will disappear from as many of these items would not be purchased at a Wal-Mart Superstore. Interspersed in the article are many suggestions for pantry items. Here is a summary list:

Honey/syrups/sugars
Beans/rice/wheat
Vegetable oil
Vitamins
Milk-powdered and condensed
Tuna fish
Garlic, spices, vinegar, and baking supplies
Flours/yeast/salt
Canned fruits, vegetables, soups and stews
Soysauce/gravies/boullion
Graham crackers/saltines/ pretzels/popcorn
Peanut butter/nuts
Chocolate/cocoa
Tea/coffee
Gum/candy

Where should someone start with a list like this. I started about 5 years ago with one 5 gallon bucket in a double wide mobile home with no basement, no attic, and no garage. I saved food where ever I could. Thankfully my kitchen was good size with ample cupboards which made up in some small part for what it lacked.

We have moved since then and my "pantry" has grown to a good part of my basement. I took some more recent pictures of my stock.
It is important to plan part of your grocery shopping budget for stocking up on something. I bought those cans of tomoto puree over a six week period earlier this fall. I think I bought 4 cans at a time. Now I have about 20 tomato puree and about 10 cans of crushed tomatoes. I also plan to buy one bulk item of plastic forks, knifes, spoons, styrofoam plates, bowls, plastic cups per month. I buy these at Sam's Club. So, I want to encourage you to start small, but plan to buy something extra this week at the grocery store.

2 comments:

Ruskin said...

I wouldn't worry too much though, at least you know how to cook! When there was an protest at high oil prices here in the UK lorry drivers blocked access to the oil refineries. No one, including police, ambulances had any gas except for the taxi-drivers. At the supermarket bread and milk ran out quickly but there was plenty of flour etc. When I bought some flour and yeast, the checkout girl asked what it was for. It seems everyone was struggling with no bread but no one had even thought of making their own.

Anonymous said...

Hi wanted to stop on by and say hello, and hope you are having a wonderful weekend...