Sunday, May 10, 2009

The horse show...

Natalie and her dear friend, Sara, were up bright and early yesterday morning. They had a light breakfast. Mom had coffee. I did Natalie's hair in a bun for the first time. I think I learned some things. The biggest was that I had to make it lower next time. After packing up the car, we headed to the barn where we met another friend and her mom. The two riders got their horses ready, cleaned their stalls, and packed their hay bags. Soon, our horse trainer extraordinaire arrived to help the girls load their horses, and then we were off.

In this picture the girls have Serene tied to the trailer and are attempting to figure out the new bridle.



Taking pictures in the indoor arena was a pain in the neck. When I used my flash the pictures were too dark. When I didn't use my flash the pictures turned out blurry. In the morning the riders had one hour clinics in the classes that they would be entering. Natalie had a clinic in equitation and pleasure which was really just like a lesson. Next Natalie went to the outdoor ring and had a clinic in fitting and showing. She had never done it before. In this next picture, Natalie and her friend, Catherine, are in the equitation/pleasure clinic.




After some down time and a little lunch the girls got ready for their classes. This is a picture of Natalie ready to enter the show ring for the fitting and showing class. This was just before the weather turned for the worse.


While she was in the class a nasty, nasty storm blew up. The wind was blowing the rain straight sideways. The rain was coming down in torrents. There were even a few claps of thunder. When her class was over I lead her to the quietest part of the barn where we could wait out the storm. We met some very nice people who allowed us to stand by them and their horse until Natalie's friend, Sara, could eventually make a run for her saddle. The storm did pass. The sun came out and a horrible wind kicked up. Thankfully though it didn't rain any more. She was able to get through all the other classes. I didn't get any picture of the pleasure and equitation classes because of my technical difficulty with my camera. I think I will be able to get better pictures at the next show in June.
For her first show she came home with a 3rd place ribbon in fitting and showing, a 2nd place ribbon in equitation, and a 2nd place ribbon in pleasure. She competed in the junior division which was the perfect division for her. I think novice would have been too easy for her. We learned a lot, and it was fun.

3 comments:

ann said...

That was a great post Jennie. Congratulations to Natalie! It sounds like she had a fun show.

Anonymous said...

This is fantastic. What a good job for a first show, even with the lousy weather. Keep it up.

Lee aka Remudamom

Jennie said...

Thanks Ann and Lee! I had no idea how much fun I would have. She is just itching for the next show which isn't until June 20th.
Jennie